Yesterday I posted about the Flickr Design Challenge at Designerama!, which is happening this weekend at the V&A. Alongside that activity, the digital team is also putting on an SMS wall projection with the help of multi-disciplinary artists Troika.
For the SMS projection, we’ll be asking participants to text a response from their mobile phone to finish the following sentence: ‘If I were a designer, I would design…’ Their responses will be projected onto a wall in the Sackler Centre in an ever-changing formation.
For me there are so many answers I could probably fill up the whole wall:
- an eco-house in the middle of nowhere
- a library with built-in bookshelves to hold all our books
- letterpress greeting cards
- pretty tablecloths and napkins
- a transport system that doesn’t break down
- woodblock prints inspired by Japanese design
- a handbag with the perfect number of pockets
- a drop-dead gorgeous evening dress
- a bed that’s truly comfortable
- a sustainable and organic garden
- a cookbook with delicious recipes and photos to salivate over
- delicate ceramic bowls and cups
- patterns for fabrics
- book covers for children’s books
There are so many things I could add to this list! I’m really looking forward to seeing how visitors respond to this question. I also hope that they realize that when they text their answer, they do understand that being a designer isn’t a totally unattainable thing. They’re already designing many parts of their own lives, sometimes without even realizing it. To imply that they’d have to be a Designer with a capital D in order to create useful and beautiful things will be counter to the whole spirit of the activity. The outcome we hope for is that texting an answer will inspire someone to actually start to create the thing that they say they would design.