I’m making a quilt out of my husband’s old shirts.  I’ve been working on it since July, with a couple of long lulls in between bouts of activity.  The big lull was because I was afraid of starting the actual quilting part – I was fine with putting together the pieces for the quilt top (they’re only plain strip squares, after all, so how complicated could they be?), and I even attempted some log cabin squares which turned out pretty well.  But getting that layer attached to the batting and the bottom layer really threw me for a while.  I did lay it out and safety-pin it and then baste it, but I was worried about getting it through the sewing machine with all those layers.  Hand-quilting the whole thing, though, was out of the question.  So after a few months’ hiatus, I finally tried machine-quilting.

Quilt top - as of August 2008

Quilt top - as of August 2008

It was much better than I expected.  My needle didn’t immediately break, and in fact the layers didn’t seem to cause the machine any trouble at all.  A relief.  So now I’m working on ‘quilting in the ditch’, which is basically sewing along the seams that already exist.  That part is what’s causing me trouble.  Usually I can draw a pretty straight line, but when I’m feeding a really bulky piece of fabric into the sewing machine I find myself unable to sew in a straight line!  Some of my stitches have veered off slightly before I could stop them.  But no quilt is perfect, and it’s my first one, so I’m happy with the results so far.  I do have a backache from being at the sewing machine for a while, though!

Advertisements